Sunday, July 01, 2007

Migrating Albums from Yahoo! Photos to Flickr

Before I had my Multiply site, I used to use Yahoo! Photos to store my photo albums. There were more than twenty albums I stored there before I started to use Multiply, which I think is much better in terms of features and community. Time goes on, and since Flickr was being acquired by them, Yahoo! had two redundant photo sharing services. And now, they have decided to close Yahoo! Photos since they will focus their efforts for the development of Flickr.

Yahoo! will officially close the service on 20 September 2007, and they give the option of moving the photos to another photo sharing service, download the original resolution photos back to our computers, or buy an archive CD containing all the photos. I chose the first option, and considering Flickr is currently also being managed by Yahoo!, I decided to move the photos to my Flickr account, which I have merged with my Yahoo! account quite some time ago.

It's quite easy to migrate, I just needed to login to my Yahoo! Photos site and chose Flickr to transfer my photo albums, and they will do the rest. They estimated that it will take up to a week for them to do so, however I found out that all my albums were being migrated in less my two days. All my Yahoo! Photos albums were conveniently being transformed into sets in Flickr, and being set as private so I can easily mark which albums I want to set public and which ones I want to keep private. Very convenient.

The only problem is that the number of sets for normal (free) Flickr account is limited to three. Because I moved my Yahoo! Photo albums to Flickr, they have generously gave me free 3 months of Pro account, which will expire on 28 September 2007, but I was wondering what will happen to my albums (read: sets) after the Pro account expires. I might need to extend the Pro account, which will cost me US$24.95 a year. Holy smokes! That's cheap! Or, is it? :) Considering that Multiply can give unlimited albums and photos for free? :)

Well, what I am doing now is to create a same tag for all the photos on the same albums, so I can still access my albums using tags. Hopefully this will help me to track the albums even after the Pro account is expired. Or, perhaps later someone might be kindly enough to give me a Flick Pro gift account, for free? Who knows... :) :)

3 comments:

Innuendo said...

dooooh..nih para boss gak pernah membiarkan gue tenang deh. dulu nyimpan pics di myphotoalbum, kenak gusur. tak pindahin ke yahoo photos. sekarang mau digusur lage ?? haiyaaa

Beyond WWW said...

Dekoh Photos is a new way to organize and share your photos. You can use its easy, drop-and-drag interface to share individual photos or entire collections with one friend or 100. And Dekoh Photos’ helpful tagging system allows you to categorize and search your collection.


1. Unlimited Storage and Sharing
2. Tag Photos for Quick Retrieval
3. Auto-Suggested Tags
4. Organize into Collections
5. Full-Screen Slideshows, Thumbnail Maker, and Templates
6. Easy Sharing with Complete Privacy Control
7. Your Own URL
8. Comments and Threaded Discussions
9. Synchronization with Online Accounts

http://www.dekoh.com/photos/index.html

Anonymous said...

Dian, Multiply atau Flickr kayaknya lebih permanen deh, mudah-mudahan. :)

Beyond WWW, thanks for the info.