Friday, August 04, 2006

Creating A Lipogram

The first time I read Renatha's article titled "A Lipogram", I was a bit confused. What is a lipogram, and what kind of article he was writing? Only after I checked its definition from Wikipedia, then I understand what he was trying to do. He was trying to write quite a long article, without using a common vowel e.

According to Wikipedia:

A lipogram (from Greek lipagrammatos, "missing letter") is a kind of constrained writing or word game consisting of writing paragraphs or longer works in which a particular letter or group of letters is missing, usually a common vowel, the most common in English being e (McArthur, 1992). A lipogram author avoiding e then only uses the 25 remaining letters of the alphabet.

After Renatha, Mbak Okke also wrote her lipogram here. And she even used her project site to collect lipograms written by other Indonesian bloggers. And this invitation motivated other Indonesian bloggers to also write their own lipograms, such as Inong, Mbak Han and Wisnu.

As such, I was also writing my own lipogram. The lipogram can be found here. I'm using English and the missing common letter is o.

So Ren, Mbak, is the article satisfactory enough to be included there? :)

[Indonesian version]

No comments: